Monday, December 30, 2013

I AM DOING OK, KIND OF

DIEP Flap Reconstruction Surgery December 3rd, 2013
6-7 HOURS in surgery plus recovery time, 4 days and 3 nights in the hospital, 4-6 weeks recovery time.
MAJOR SURGERY with a highly recommended skilled micro-surgeon, only plastic surgeon around this area that does this type of breast reconstruction using stomach tissue and reattaching blood vessels, tummy tuck is the bonus.
After this surgery on Tuesday, I am doing OK, kind of!
Day 1
Surgery is over.  You are out of surgery, in recovery.  Surgery went well.  You are OK.  Surgery is over, you are in recovery.  You are doing well. You are OK.  LeAnn you are in recovery.
Your Family is waiting to see you.  We will bring you up shortly to see your family.  The Doctor said it went very well.
LeAnn hoarsely and groggily says "those are the best words in the world to hear".  I feel great!  VERY SORE but great.  My arms and foot hurt, instead of the incisions sutured in my abdomen and new breasts.
I am awake and LivinLife again!

Night 1
Drugs-YES! The pain medication by IV that you can press the button every 10 minutes-- if you want MORE.  I didn't have it that often,  I think it was usually every hour that I needed more.  FEELING GREAT!
Then,
Oh no, what did I have done? It feels like I was run over by a truck and then the truck backed up and drove over me again.  Wow it was a lot! I am connected to heart and pulse monitors, IV solutions and pain meds, oxygen and carbon dioxide monitor in nose, marks and stickers and bandages everywhere, Catheter, leg compression air pillows and don't forget the 4 drains and tubing connected too!  I can't move.
Vitals checked by nurse EVERY HOUR.  Tucked back in, then woke up again, tucked back in, then woke up again, it was a LONG Night.  But the night Surgical Care Recovery Nurse was made for that job.


Day 2 and Night 2
Dear Hubby was there to spend time with me and my best friends from work came to visit and check in with me.  I told my family from out of town they shouldn't drive in the snow and ice storm.  Wonderful Hubby went to pick up the Kids after school to come and see me.    VERY STIFF and SORE, not moving too much.  
The first room I had was on the Mississippi River side of the hospital, normally a Beautiful river view but its all a white out.  Then I was moved to a new room and the SUN came out.  Pretty view of the mostly frozen river and the lights at night!

My friend brought me this plant and when she walked in with it, I thought to myself "why is she bringing me an Easter plant -was it on clearance? "  Then the next morning I realized it is a Christmas poinsettia and it is the Christmas season!! I am sure that is not the only strange thought I had while under the influence of pain medication!!!


Days and nights 3 & 4
Headache, need caffeine, need more pain pills, or less pain pills, not sure--but this headache won't go away.
Why did I sign up to do that to myself?  Seriously --why did I want an incision from hip to hip in the lower tummy area, patched in boobs that are very swollen, and drains hanging out filling with disgusting red bloody liquid.  Swollen fingers, at least the catheter is out, but I will have to get up to pee. That is such a slow process.....


Friday =Going Home!   First need to get up and take a shower.  Very tired, glad there was a chair to sit on in the shower.  I did it!  I also walked out to the hallway.  VERY SLOW.

Home late afternoon!!  Wore my new fleece pajamas to keep warm! Wonderful, thoughtful Niece picked me up and drove me home and brought some things we needed also.

First Day and Night at home.  Beautiful balloon bouquet from my wonderful daughter. Help reaching things with the claw grabber borrowed from son.  Hubby to take care of me!
Good to be home.  Moving slow, staying in recliner, can't stretch out yet.  Have a recliner brought up to the bedroom.

I am taking it easy!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That IS major surgery! I'll be thinking of you... :) Hope the rest of your recovery goes quickly and you be sure to take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete