Monday, March 4, 2013

My Top Ten Annoying Side Effects of Chemo

These are my Top Ten Annoying Side Effects of Chemotherapy.
1.  Fatigue, tiredness, needing a lot of naps
2.  Constipation, then
3.  Diarrhea, then
4.  Hemorrhoids-a pain in the butt
5.  Stuffy nose, dry mouth
6.  Mouth sores
7.  Fuzzy chemo brain-forgetfulness
8.  Tingly, numb fingers and toes
9.  Antsy from the steroids
10. Muscle Weakness

Half of these are gone now with this second round of chemo!!!  YES!!!!
Some of the side effects are from the medications used to prevent side effects so it is a vicious cycle. The first 8 weeks were the worst but with the thoughts and prayers from family and friends, the awesome care at the cancer center, and the best help at home from my wonderful caring hubby, daughter and son-- I made it through the tough days.


Notice I didn't put Hair Loss.  I really didn't think that it has been too bad without hair.  Maybe because my hair was so long before --that it was time to do something different.  Love that I don't shed hair all over now and that it doesn't get in the way,  and that a shower is quick without having to rinse out my hair twice after shampooing and conditioning.  Not to mention how long it took to dry and style it.  Mostly I was putting it in a pony tail anyways.  So I was ready to cut off the 12 inches and donate it to Locks of Love last October. JCPenneys Salon cut it Free for me being that it was Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  Thanks to them for supporting the cause.  Loved the new short look that I had for a month, even found a wig the same exact style!! 





Then when it started coming out from the first chemo treatment (right to the day they told me to expect it), since it was so thick even cut short, that there was so much coming out all day, and after 3 days of actually feeling sick from seeing it in clumps,having to clean it up after brushing it out and wads of hair wrapped in toilet paper in the garbage, I was ready to have it shaved all off!!(exactly what a lot of other chemo patients have reported). I went back to JCPenneys Salon and they did a wonderful caring job of shaving it off. I felt better.

Now I like wearing different hats and caps.  The wig is good for wearing about 6 hours, then when I get home it needs to come off.  Mainly because my head gets hot.  Since it is winter here, I join a lot of people wearing hats to keep their head warm. So that major side effect of chemo has been OK for me.

Well - I am looking forward to tomorrow's last chemo treatment!!!! Very excited to be done and have the side effects wear off and feel normal again!!!!

2 comments:

  1. What a tough road....but the end is in sight! I am so glad your family has been such a support for you. I will be celebrating with you tomorrow in thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Thank you!! There are so many people to thank for all the thoughts and prayers. It is something to celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete