Friday, July 5, 2013

Busy Summer Days

Ok--I did say when I am not busy that I will blog!  Just had a lot of things going on, however we are still able to enjoy the summer.  We have had BEAUTIFUL Sunny Summer Days.  All week has been very nice -yesterday and today there is a nice breeze with lots of blue sky and sun.
We were lucky to be able to enjoy the 4th of July at a lake.  Kids came with, so hubby and kids spent the afternoon swimming in the lake with friends.  I put my toes in the water!  The Sun and the Cool Water felt wonderful!  Beautiful Minnesota Summer Days.  My hubby says "this is what we wait for all winter."
Busy Summer Days -enjoying the outdoors as much as we can.  Our view of our backyard from the deck is great too.  We have had a small deer back there often -even during the daytime.  I got a few pictures of it because it has stayed so long.  (will post those pictures later)


I posted on Facebook that I am done with my Cancer treatment and I feel good!!  So many amazing comments and over 190 likes!!  I hadn't posted anything about it on FB during the whole process, but it felt like it was time.  Lots of support.   Here is my Celebration Picture!

In the picture is a smiling me celebrating with the certificate from the Radiation department-signed by all the doctors, nurses and technicians, the carnation they give at the last treatment and a styrofoam cup.  Each day after treatment I would have ice water or coffee and carry the cup out with me.  (they served Caribou Coffee there) Some days I would visit with the others I met there who are going through it too. I met some amazing ladies and their families.  Like a little morning coffee club!   That is where I had my Chemo and Oncologist doctor appointments too.  The volunteers would always bring me ice water or hot chocolate in the white cups. Friends and Family know where the refreshment center is and have something to drink while waiting too.

I ended up a little burnt from the Radiation, but it feels better every day.  Special lotions sooth it and it didn't get bad until the last 3-4 times.  So overall a very good 6 weeks (28 sessions) with not too much fatigue.
Going to feel 'normal' again around here for awhile.  I will still take it easy and get lots of rest and cover up the left neck area, arm and shoulder when in the sun, but definitely feeling good!!

So good that in the past weeks I have been cooking and baking!  During all of this my hubby has been the one to grocery shop and prepare meals.  We have been fortunate in getting some help with grocery gift cards, meals, frozen meat, fish and more gift cards to make it through.  So my lovely daughter and I went shopping for some ingredients and here is what we have made this past week.  I am so glad she is taking after me and loves to cook and bake in the kitchen too.
Here is what we have been making:
Peanut Butter Finger Bars (an old recipe I had and love -it makes 2 pans --brought one to a party for my brother and a few to a good friend who just had a baby)

Chili Cheese Dip (because daughter was hungry for it)

Macaroni Chicken Salad (because I was hungry for it)

Peach Cobbler  (to use up 3 peaches that were not as good as the ones our neighbor shares from South Carolina)

Taco Hotdish (because the oven was hot and we had all the hard shells in the cupboard-recipe on box)

Salsa (fresh made and our favorite appetizer to eat out on the deck with cold drinks)

Fruit Salad (specials on fresh fruit in the summer)
4th of July Strawberries and Blueberries.  
This was our inspiration but the nearest Coborn's grocery store was out of blue sprinkles so we used red, white and blue nonpareils.  Everybody must of seen this on Pinterest! :0

Salted Toffee Bars (to bring to friends house for July 4th party)

Taco Dip  (to bring to friends house for July 4th party)

Eating good in the neighbor hood!!!  I will post some recipes if you want -will definitely recommend the PB Bars, Salted Toffee Bars and the Taco Dip.  Actually all of it was good!  We are blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Thanks for the update- sorry to hear about the burns though.... :( I am happy that you can turn the page now and start a new chapter of your life- enjoy! And I wish you much happiness!

    ReplyDelete