This project evolved for a couple different reasons. We LOVE our Deck and really use it a lot when we can be outside and relax after work. Our table and chairs have lasted over 10 years because we take them inside during the winter. The cushions we also take in when it rains or is too windy. But they were worn out and ripped. Last year we turned them over and used the back to sit on and that worked. But we were a little embarrassed. (Remember last year all that we went through)
New Cushions cost quite a bit more than we could afford and are hard to find in that size. My dear hubby called around and tried to get quotes to recover them. Some places don't do that and others quoted a crazy price of $150 each! (We have 6)
So since I read Blogs and look at Pinterest, I found a bright Idea! I will recover them myself. The best idea was to use old drapes for fabric and water seal spray to make it work for outdoors! (Someone thought that was WEIRD at first but he came around to like the idea.)
We had recently replaced our reddish drapes in the living room with darker ones, so I could use those 4 sections. The blog suggested buying fabric from Thrift stores, so sure enough-- I found some there. Packets of material that looked like outdoor fabric and with stripes! AND they had some drapes/curtain material in Green! Matches our original chair colors. Using Coupons they gave from the last trip to Thrift Store, I was able to buy 4 more for $3.99! (I think she forgot to charge me for each one)
Using the information from the blog on sewing large covers for the cushions, I was able to leave the existing upholstery on them and make large covers for the old cushions. I sewed most of it on the sewing machine and then just folded over the top and stitched that up by hand. (I actually loved the sewing process! Didn't have too much ripping out and doing over, which is how I remember sewing in the past)
I am so Thankful that I am healthy enough to do this and save some money for the family! If they last a year I will be happy.
| Looking outside at the rain and drinking coffee. |
| Rainy day, but turning green. Goose flying by! |
Living Life but Enjoying Every Day is my motto. Really feel that now after surviving Cancer and appreciate so much more! Life is Great, Awesome and Beautiful!
No comments:
Post a Comment